Nov 17, 2012

Calamari & Risotto

My friend bought me some vegan calamari from Blackvalentine and I decided to make it last night.  I Googled recipes involving rice and mixed them together, thought about what I had available and came up with this.  To be honest, it's delicious but I'm not sure risotto and calamari really go together.


This is the recipe from memory.

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups aborio rice
  • 3 cubes vegetable stock
  • 1-2 spring onion, chopped up
  • 1 cup peas and corn
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 packet of Lamyong calamari (600g)
  • lemon juice
  • salt and pepper
Method:
  1. I cooked up the rice with the stock cubes and added water when I needed to, kept stirring it so that it didn't stick to the bottom.
  2. After the rice was cooked, I added the spring onion (aka scallion), peas and corn and the nooch (aka nutritional yeast, savoury yeast flakes).
  3. Then I fried up the calamari in a pan with a bit of salt and pepper and about 2 tbsp of lemon juice.  The calamari comes as frozen rolled up tubes sort of thing so you have to slice it up and let it defrost.
  4. Once I served the calamari on the rice, I drizzled a little bit more lemon juice on it.
If you're looking for the calamari, try Blackvalentine, Vegan Online, or a local Chinese supermarket.  I was lucky enough to get them on special, but they seem to normally average about $13, so you might want to cook up even more rice to make it last longer, or only use 1/2 the packet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...