Aug 24, 2011

Vegan Burritos

So here I am bringing you my first pretty recipe!  I live on a student's budget with not much time on my hands for cooking between markets, fundraising and uni.  Therefore, I am going to try and share with you some cheap easy recipes on a regular basis! 

I have recently posted about how to make chocolate icecream and carrot cake but now I am moving into the realm of dinners and trying harder to take decent photos and share more cheap and easy vegan meals for the curious among you.  Let me know what you think in the comments!



Ingredients:
*200g TVP                             $2.90
*2 cubes Massel beef stock    $0.40
*tin of corn                             $1.00
*alfalfa                                    $0.40 (special)
*tin of red kidney beans         $1.00
*6 tomatoes                            $2.28
*12 pack of NOT GF wraps   $3.73 (OR 3x4 packs of GF wraps  $13.47)
*garlic powder, chilli powder, salt, pepper to taste

Method:
1.  Heat up water in a pot with the 2 cubes of beef stock (the pack of TVP should tell you the ratio needed - I just estimate).
2.  Add the TVP and red kidney beans and stir until the TVP has expanded.
3.  Heat up the wraps if you want, I leave them cold.  Spoon TVP mix onto the wraps.
4.  Add tomato slices, alfalfa and corn!

Total: $11.71 for 'normal', $21.45 for gluten free.  It should make about twelve wraps (six meals for me), so about $0.98 each for 'normal' or $1.79 each for gluten free.

If you run out of TVP mix just use the corn, alfalfa, tomato and add some carrot and other salady things to make salad wraps!  Or, if you have too much TVP leftover, put it on a sandwich or wrap it in pastry!

Other ideas: Add beetroot slices, Toffuti cream cheese, grated carrot, other beans, whatever you want!  It's very healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...