Sep 29, 2011

Creator Profile: Bakker Beyond


Tell us about yourself.

My name is Katie Aakala Bakker.  I'm 35, divorced and a mother of three.  My middle name Aakala is an indigenous word for parrot, I love birds!  I have 3 pink and grey galahs, an alexandrian parrot, a sun conure parrot, an australian ringneck parrot, lots of budgies and 2 weiros. They are my babies!
 
I live in the Chittering Valley in Western Australia on 10 acres, surrounded by bushland and native animals, no neighbours, no traffic, no rush!
 
What do you create?

I create fantasy, fey, realistic and strange creatures and sculptures, wearable art, and functional pieces using polymer clay.
 

How long have you been making things?  What was the first thing you made?

Below is a photo of the first little Fairies I made.  They are air dry clay, which I don't like to use! It's very brittle and I am way too impatient to wait for it to dry. I moved onto polymer clay after these.


I started using polymer clay in February of 2011 and I started the facebook page in April or May 2011, when my Mum and my daughter thought I should try to sell what I was making.  It took off big time! I had so many orders and still do!

"Forest Floor"
  
The page continues to grow, the orders continue to keep coming in, but I have had to start refusing them. I really need time to continue gaining experience and creating whats in my imagination.  I am an artist first and a business woman second. I want to continue to love what I am doing for a very long time :).

Where do you get your inspiration?

I love to create!  This has been my year of knowing I can express myself through my arts and crafts.  I use mostly polymer clay, wire and beading in my work.  I am still very new to this and have a lot to learn.  I create the things I like in my life; animals, nature, myth and fae.  I love colour and love to use it!  This started for me as an escape from my anxiety and depression; art therapy.  I'm not cured but much happier, more centred and balanced.


How can people contact you?

I have a page on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/BakkerBeyond

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...