Oct 5, 2011

Blood Orange Cake

My friend brought me a whole bunch of blood oranges, which I had never had before.  So I made a yummy blood orange cake with blood orange glaze using this recipe by Ramblings of a Vegan Man.  My housemates all loved it and ate it in just two days!


I have copied the recipe below with the changes that I have made and the cost of ingredients.

Ingredients:
Cake
*1/3 cup vegetable oil     $0.39
*3 blood orange, juiced   $2.85
*1 cup soymilk                $0.48 (for soy free, use a different vegan milk)
*1 tsp white vinegar
*2 tbs corn flour
*1.5 cups SR flour          $0.16
*3/4 tsp baking powder
*1/2 tsp baking soda
*1 tsp ground nutmeg
*1/2 tsp cinnamon
*1/2 tsp salt
*3/4 cup + 2 tbs sugar
*2 tsp vanilla
*1/4 tsp almond essence

Glaze
*1 blood orange, juiced $0.95
*3/4 cup icing sugar      $0.45

Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 180C.
2.  Combine milk, vinegar and corn flour.
3.  Mix blood orange juice, oil, flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, almond essence and salt together in a bowl.
4.  Add milk mixture.
5.  Pour into pan or cake tin, bake for 25-30 minutes.
6.  Mix glaze ingredients together to put on cake when cool. 

Total:  $5.28.

Eight more blood oranges to use...  What should I make next?

2 comments:

  1. That looks great, I love orange flavour in cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I followed the recipe and used 1tsp of almond essence that completely overpowered the flavour of the cake this time. Next time I'll only use a couple of drops :).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...