I was missing the pies that they normally have for sale at my university's co-op so figured, why not make my own? Inspired by this recipe by Like A Vegan, I made myself a mushroom and TVP pie.
I have copied the recipe below with the changes that I made and prices.
*200g TVP $2.90
*2 cubes Massell's beef stock $0.40
*1.5 tbsp of Massell's gravy $0.35
*1 onion, finely chopped $0.54
*300g mushrooms, chopped $3.15
*2 sheets puff pastry $1.43
*1/2 cup bbq sauce $0.81
*1 clove garlic, minced
*2tsp chili powder
*2 tbsp parsley
*1 tbsp thyme
*1 tbsp dill
*1 tbsp ginger
*salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 220C.
2. Fry up mushroom, onion and garlic.
3. Prepare TVP as per instructions, add the beef stock.
4. Prepare the gravy as per instructions.
5. Add TVP, gravy and bbq sauce to mushroom mix. Add spices, heat through.
6. Place pastry in dish, fill with mix, cover with more pastry.
7. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
Makes: Two smaller pies, or about 6 serves.
Total: $9.58 or $1.60 per serve.
My omni friend absolutely loved this and it's very easy to make. Give it a go!