Oct 7, 2011

Mushroom and Spinach Quiche

This was the first quiche that I have made since going vegan nearly two years ago.  I think that next time I'd use puff pastry and stick it in the oven for 10 minutes before putting the filling in as this pastry wasn't the best.  I think I may have overcooked it though - I don't yet have the hang of gluten free.  I think next time I'd also maybe add some nutritional yeast and a bit more flavouring.



Ingredients:
Filling
*1 onion, chopped                         $0.54
*15 (or so) mushrooms, chopped  $3.15
*100g fresh spinach, chopped       $2.50
*4 tsp ground garlic
*2 tsp basil
*1/2 tsp thyme
*1 block firm tofu (500g)             $5.02
*1 tsp turmeric
*1 tbsp lemon
*2 tbsp water
*salt and pepper to taste

Crust
(you could just use a sheet of frozen puff pastry instead - $0.72)
*1.5 cups Orgran plain flour    $1.30      (normal flour - $0.17)
*pinch of salt
*1/2 cup Nuttelex                    $0.86
*water


Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 180C.
2.  Make the crust by mixing all ingredients except the water together. 
3.  Add water slowly until it has a dough consistency.  Roll out and place in quiche dish.
4.  Fry up mushroom and onion.
5.  Wilt spinach in some hot water on the stove.
6.  Crumble tofu into a blender (or large container and use a stick blender like me), add water, lemon and spices.
7.  Mix it all together and put in the crust.
8.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until firm.

I got the crust recipe from here.

Total: $10.87 for gluten free.
           $9.74 for not gf.
           $8.71 if you use pre-made pastry.

Variations:  Use puff pastry, cut out circles using an egg ring and make mini quiches using a cupcake tin!  My mother used to make me mini quiches when I was younger.  If you have some vegan cheese or nutritional yeast, add that in as well :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...