This was the first quiche that I have made since going vegan nearly two years ago. I think that next time I'd use puff pastry and stick it in the oven for 10 minutes before putting the filling in as this pastry wasn't the best. I think I may have overcooked it though - I don't yet have the hang of gluten free. I think next time I'd also maybe add some nutritional yeast and a bit more flavouring.
*1 onion, chopped $0.54
*15 (or so) mushrooms, chopped $3.15
*100g fresh spinach, chopped $2.50
*4 tsp ground garlic
*2 tsp basil
*1/2 tsp thyme
*1 block firm tofu (500g) $5.02
*1 tsp turmeric
*1 tbsp lemon
*2 tbsp water
*salt and pepper to taste
(you could just use a sheet of frozen puff pastry instead - $0.72)
*1.5 cups Orgran plain flour $1.30
(normal flour - $0.17)
*pinch of salt
*1/2 cup Nuttelex $0.86
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Make the crust by mixing all ingredients except the water together.
3. Add water slowly until it has a dough consistency. Roll out and place in quiche dish.
4. Fry up mushroom and onion.
5. Wilt spinach in some hot water on the stove.
6. Crumble tofu into a blender (or large container and use a stick blender like me), add water, lemon and spices.
7. Mix it all together and put in the crust.
8. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until firm.
I got the crust recipe from here.
Total: $10.87 for gluten free.
$9.74 for not gf.
$8.71 if you use pre-made pastry.
Variations: Use puff pastry, cut out circles using an egg ring and make mini quiches using a cupcake tin! My mother used to make me mini quiches when I was younger. If you have some vegan cheese or nutritional yeast, add that in as well :).