Oct 18, 2011

Eggplant and Tomato Casserole


I've never made a casserole before. Yes, I know, I lead a sheltered life haha. I found this recipe for an eggplant and tomato casserole over at This Vegan House thanks to Randomofo.

The dish that I used was a bit big so it ended up being a bit shallow. Unfortunately I don't have any no-egg or nutritional yeast so I made do with what I had and it still tasted delicious.


Below I have copied the recipe with my alterations and the costs of ingredients.

Ingredients:
*1 large eggplant, peeled, cubed $1.49
*500g tofu, cubed                       $5.23
*2/3 cup gf breadcrumbs            $1.50
*1/2 onion, finely chopped         $0.27
*3 tomatoes, sliced                     $1.14
*salt, pepper
*1 clove garlic, crushed
*2 tsp oregano
*1 tsp chili powder
*1 tsp dill
*1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2tbsp water)

Add any other herbs or spices you want.

Method:
1. Bring eggplant and tofu to boil in salted water, simmer until eggplant is soft.
2. Mix breadcrumbs, onion, herbs and spices together.
3. Make the flaxseed egg.
4. Drain and mash eggplant and tofu when finished, mix everything together except tomatoes.
5. Layer tomatoes on bottom of dish, place mix on top, layer top with more tomatoes.
6. Bake at 180C for 40 minutes.

Makes: 6 serves

Total: $9.63 or $1.60 per serve.

Calories:  1134 or 189 per serve

Protein:  81.1g or 13.5g per serve


1 comment:

  1. oooh...looks good. Now I just have to convince my bf that eggplant IS yummy! (I'm Greek, so i KNOW it is. ;) )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...